Roasted seasoned chicken with caramelized onions, sautéed mushrooms and broccoli served atop whole grain rice. Topped with Italian cheeses and Gouda cheese sauce.
Don’t laugh, but I got this idea from Denny’s…
Roasted Chicken: Place chicken breasts in a shallow baking dish, skin side up. Sprinkle each breast with salt, pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon thyme. Brush with melted butter and roast 1 hour at 350 degrees or until done.
Caramelized Onions: Coat the bottom of the pan with olive oil or a mixture of olive oil and butter (about 1 teaspoon per onion). Heat the pan over medium-high heat until the oil is shimmering. Add the onion slices and stir to coat the onions with the oil. Spread the onions out evenly over the pan and let cook, stirring occasionally.
Sauteed Mushrooms: Heat olive oil and butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook and stir mushrooms, garlic, cooking wine, teriyaki sauce, garlic salt, and black pepper in the hot oil and butter until mushrooms are lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
Steamed Broccoli: Cut broccoli into 2-inch florets. In a steamer set over boiling water steam broccoli, covered, until crisp-tender, 4 to 5 minutes. While broccoli is steaming, finely chop garlic and in a small skillet combine oil, lemon juice, and salt and pepper to taste.
Smoked Gouda Cheese Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons butter (or olive oil)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (more if you wish)
- 1 1⁄2cups 2% low-fat milk
- 3⁄4 cup smoked gouda cheese, shredded
- Heat butter in saucepan; mix together flour, cayenne, and dry mustard; add to butter, stirring constantly until thickened, about 1 minutes.
- Slowly add milk while constantly stirring with a whisk. Bring to boil while whisking, when thickened remove from heat. Immediately add shredded smoked Gouda cheese, stirring until melted; keep warm.
In an oven proof skillet, spread the rice on the bottom. Top with chicken, onions, mushrooms, broccoli, smoked gouda sauce, and shredded Italian cheese. Do a quick broil in the oven before serving.
I also added some diced tomato, but you wouldn’t need it.