If you love capers and olives, this is the pasta dish for you.
- 1/2 pound dried spaghetti
- 4 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 4 to 6 anchovy fillets, finely chopped
- Large pinch red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup capers, drained and chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped kalamata olives
- 1 cup whole peeled tomatoes, preferably San Marzano, roughly broken up by hand or a 15 ounce can of tomato sauce
- 1 (5-ounce) can oil-packed tuna
- 1/2 red onion (finely diced)
- 1 tbs of mayonnaise
Garnish: freshly grated cheese and fresh basil
- Place spaghetti in a large skillet, sauté pan, or saucepan and cover with water. Add a small pinch of salt. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring occasionally to prevent pasta from sticking.
- Meanwhile, in a medium skillet, squeeze out excess tuna oil on medium heat. Add onions until they lighten in color. Add garlic and cook until fragrant. Add anchovies (or paste), red pepper flakes and tuna (optional).
- Add a little caper or olive brine to deglaze the pan, add capers/olives.
- Add the tomatoes or a 15 ounce can of tomato sauce.
- Stir, and taste, if it tastes good, add the mayonnaise, and stir until incorporated.
- Add your al dente pasta to the sauce and serve immediately. Garnish with grated Parmesan cheese and fresh basil.
*NOTE: DO NOT ADD SALT BEFORE TASTING