Prepping the chicken:
- Place chicken breast in a resealable plastic bag or between two pieces of plastic wrap. Using a small skillet, pound chicken breast into an even thickness about 3/4-inches in height.
- In a medium bowl whisk together 2 quarts cold water, 1/3 cup salt, and 1/4 cup sugar until the solids are dissolved. Add chicken breasts and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Remove chicken breasts from brine, pat dry with paper towels, season to taste with salt and pepper, and brush lightly with 2 tablespoons oil.
- Place chicken on grill and cook until well browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Flip and brush with a sauce of your choice. I used a BBQ mustard that was really good. Continue to cook until second side is browned. Flip chicken and cook about 1 minute. Brush more sauce on second side of chicken, flip once more, and cook until chicken registers 150°F – 160°F on an instant read thermometer inserted into the center of breast. If chicken browns too much before it registers 150°F, move to cool side of grill, cover, and let cook until chicken reaches temperature. Remove chicken from grill, let rest for 5 to 10 minutes.
- I served mine with cheese underneath to keep the bun from getting soggy and topped with lettuce and tomato.
This recipe is based on this one from Serious Eats. It is a really good recipe for a chicken sandwich!